Sunday, June 15, 2008

The many facets of my dad







I thank Jesus for my dad. He's first of all my friend and mentor. I've learned so much from being raised my him and my mom. He's always been a huge supporter of everything I do. He's encouraged me and pushed me to always do my best (especially in running CC and Track in school) and has always shown how pleased he is with the accomplishments I have made. I've always known that he loves me and would do anything in the world to see me happy.

He came to as many track and CC meets as he could - always cheering me on and videotaping. He would even leave little notes in my spikes for me to find right before the race that would say encouraging things and tell me what my mile splits should be! We started running together while I was in college when I would come home for breaks and one day when I said, "Dad, I could stop running for a whole year and still beat you" he decided to prove me wrong. He started running consistently and then beat me in a 4 mile road race the summer after my freshman year of college. Boy, was I embarrassed. But, running has been one thing we do to spend time together.

And as you can see, my dad is a fisherman. He LOVES to fish! And yes I've gone with him a few times, but I'm not as crazy about it as he is! I do have one memory in particular where I was with my dad fishing and I was sitting up high on a hill of rocks behind him and he went to cast his line out and hooked my eyelid! Luckily, I wasn't hurt too bad!

My dad came to all my piano recitals, band concerts, show choir concerts, instrumental competitions, fine arts festivals, etc. Even when it was boring, he was there videotaping and showing his support. My dad would take us and our friends out on our ski boat to Mississinewa Resorvoir and we would go tubing/skiing. It was so much fun!!! And he always planned the best family vacations to FL. He made sure we made great memories!

So, not only is my dad my friend and supporter, but he has always been my Pastor. My dad's been a Pastor since right out of Bible college, he was a youth pastor for a few years and then pastored his first church at the age of 26? in Kokomo, IN. We were there for 26 years! Nothing is more special than having your dad pray for you in the altar. My dad has always prayed for his children and I know he does it faithfully. My dad has also done our boys baby dedications. One being Jadon's dedication at his funeral and then Josiah and Joshua in Crystal Lake, IL. I've always loved listening to my dad preach....of course I'm biased, but I think he may be the best preacher in the world!

These are just a few of the good memories I've had with my dad and I look forward to what we'll share in the future. I love you Dad!

3 comments:

Dana said...

He sounds like a great man, Angel. I know you love and respect him completely. You've always said awesome things about him. Thanks for sharing those memories and thoughts! I'm sorry I never heard him preach. He'll love having you guys close again.

Me..... said...

I am also so blessed to have such a great father. I love to hear stories of great fathers.

Sara said...

Angel - I was reading how your dad use to put notes in your spikes before our CC meets.....my dad use to put notes & Bible verses in my basketball bag before every game. I saved a lot of them in a journal. They are very precious to me C: