Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New milestone





It seems I've passed another milestone with Joshua. Joshua's has been sucking his thumb ever since he stopped using his pacifier at 3 months. He would suck his thumb while riding in the van, or watching TV or when he was ready to go to sleep. And while he sucks his thumb, he plays with his belly button with the other hand. So, since he turned 2 and I noticed it was getting a little less, but he was still relying on it, I thought I would try to do something to speed up the process. I went online and read some reviews about Thum - the nasty stuff you put on their thumbs and it had both positive and negative results. So, it was basically a 50/50 chance that it would work for your child, so I tried it and I got great results! The first few times I put it on, he would start to put it in his mouth and make a yucky face and I would say, "Don't put your thumb in your mouth, it's yucky!" And he would say, "It's yucky? Why mom?" (He's so cute!) He actually has stopped putting his thumb in his mouth even when he doesn't have any of it on his thumb! He just automatically thinks it's going to be gross to put in his mouth now! I'm so relieved that this has seemed to work! Now it's only been about a week, so I'm going to keep using it until it's gone. But, for a week now he hasn't sucked his thumb in the van or on the couch or to go to sleep. He'll still play with his belly button though! Now, my only negative result is that it takes him longer to fall asleep now for naps or bedtime, but he'll get used to it and now I'm not worrying so much about him sucking his thumb in kindergarten and messing up his teeth! Thank you to Thum!!!

5 comments:

Megan said...

Thats awesome about Josh! You are such a great momma!

please PLEASE read my new blog. I really need my sister right now. I wish you were here with me!

Love you!

Tatum & Jose said...

Congrats! We don't have a thumb sucker but we have a girl who is obsessed with her paci-she'll have a fit if she wants it and I don't have it around for her. We've been planning on taking it away before Sonia gets here so maybe trying the Thum on the pacifier will work??? Did you read anything like that?

Megan said...

Hey I was reading your response on Tatums page and how Josiah is now asking for it. That is soooooo funny. Love u. I have a really bad headache again today and that is not good since we are having the super bowl party at our house in a few hours. LOTS OF DRUGS! Love u

Bethany Patrice said...

I wonder if that 'thum" stuff works for people who bite their fingernails. Maybe I'll bye Erik some of it, so he can quite that habit!

Dana said...

Good for you, and good for Josh! I love the pictures you have of him sucking his thumb and playing with his belly button...perfect for the baby book!

I was a thumb sucker too, and my mom used that stuff on me when I was one. (Personally, I don't think it was so awful that I was sucking my thumb at one, but I guess it was back in the 70's when kids were potty trained at 18 months! ha ha!) Way to go! :)