Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tips on saving money

I don't normally watch much Oprah, but I saw one episode this week that gave some pointers on how to save money and they had the thriftest family in America on there giving pointers with some others. I was acutally surprised at the number of things that were mentioned that I already do, so that made me feel really good. But, I did learn something new. And we'll see how well it really works, but I guess you can save a lot of money by unplugging all your appliances or whatever you have plugged in all the time and only plug it in when you're using it. So, I unplugged lamps, my keyboard/amp, humidifier, etc. and we'll see if it really works?? Has anyone else ever tried this???

Also if you google your home town and type in restaurants, free stuff you can find restaurants where kids eat free on certain days of the week. Now, going out to eat isn't something we do very often, but if you're dying to or need to, then you'll know where to go!

Now, the coupon lady said you need to buy 2-3 copies of the Sunday newspaper for the coupons to really work effectively. So, I'll have to see about that. But, I reguarly cut coupons out every Sunday and use them for my groceries. It doesn't save a ton, but every bit helps, right? But, if you only buy what's on sale and never pay regular price for anything, that helps too! So, it's worth it to check out the ads to see what's on sale and plan accordingly for that week on what you're going to eat according to what's on sale at the store. And also printing coupons offline helps too!

3 comments:

Me..... said...

I saw that episode and have tried to unplug some things...... let me know if anything makes a difference.. I have never been a good coupon shopper. I shop at Trader Joes and get 10% off so I never need to clip...... I find it amazing that people can really save that much money!

Bethany Patrice said...

I saw that episode in the fall, and have been uplugging my coffe pot, toaster, and cell phone charges ever since. The lamps are too much work though. I can't tell a difference yet because during the cold months we have two space heaters going at all times.

Anonymous said...

These are some good tips!
You unplugged your lamps?? Wow. I'd think that'd get annoying if you use them very much. But maybe you don't. Mom is always having to turn off the lights after I leave different rooms. She's like, "Abby! You're horrible about leaving lights on!!" Yeah I need to work on that. I can see my room from here and yep, my light's on.