Thursday, August 28, 2008

PK Retreat



This past weekend I was able to be a part of the Indiana PK Retreat. They didn't have these when I was growing up, so this was my first one to go to. The entire District staff is a part of the retreat and ministers to the PK's all weekened. Of course I'm too old to attend now, but my brother, Nathan has been leading worship at them and he asked me to sing on the worship team along with his wife, Kelly. I don't get to sing with him very often, so I really enjoyed it. He does an outstanding job with worship! The entire weekend was great! The kids really entered in to worship and prayed around the altars. Many were touched and I also really enjoyed the girls breakout session where I got to be on a panel for girls to share things and ask questions to us "older PK's." One night for dinner was a country/western theme so that explains the picture with my dad. All the district staff dressed up and served the kids that night.


Being a PK growing up wasn't always easy, but I'm so blessed to have the parents I do have and I learned a lot about ministry before being in full-time ministry. I saw good things and bad things, but my parents did a good job protecting me from the bad things in ministry. I'm proud to be a PK because of my parents and they did an awesome job instilling Godly values and morals in my life- even when I didn't want them to! Yes, as a PK you may have stricter rules and disciplines, but it's only for your good in the end! I'm so glad my parents didn't let me do whatever I wanted, b/c who knows what kind of person I would be today? Not all PK's are perfect and not all PK's are bad kids! We're normal just like everyone else, but it is a special privilege and an honor to be a PK! Yes, people in your church will expect more out of you and some will expect you to never make a mistake, but that's just part of it. We all live to please God and not men.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I was wondering when you were going to blog about the PK retreat. I so wish I could have gone. I wish we did have them when we were young enough to go. Dad looks so cute and funny in his little outfit.

I love what you had to say about PK's. It all is so true. We were very blessed to have our parents. They did an amazing job with raising us in ministry. I look back and think man, the rules were not near as bad as they should HAVE been.

Love you my PK sister!

Mike and Bethany said...

Hey Angel! Sorry I've been out of touch. You look great! I hope your move has been good. I bet it's nice to be closer to home. Love you, Bethany

Dana said...

what a cool idea! i think pk's need a safe place to go surrounded by other pk's who understand the pressures and perks of being a pastor's kid.

cute picture of you and your dad!