Thursday, April 21, 2011

Larynogoscopy

On Monday I had my surgery. The Dr. said it couldn't have went better, so I am very pleased to hear that! No talking for 7 days and then it will be a gradual increase in talking. I start vocal therapy in 2 weeks and then should be ok to sing again in about 4-6 weeks. I was put on pain medincine, mucinex, a sinus antibiotic and an anti-reflux medincine. Wednesday I only took my pain med once and today I haven't at all. It hurt to swallow for a few days but now I'm feeling almost normal. I resumed eating solid foods today which makes it easier. For a few days I was only having liquids and soft foods - mostly popsiciles, ice cream, etc. Today, I ate a salad and muffins which was awesome!

The no talking has proven to be a challenge, but what's harder is no coughing or clearing the throat. I can't whisper or mouth any words either, so that makes it doubly hard! I just have a dry erase board to communicate - but with Josh, it's hard b/c he can't read! Josiah has been a great helper and really does well with all this! Josh is more of a challenge for me though, surprise, surprise!

Ronnie has been an awesome husband! He is more than I could ever ask for in a husband! He'll pick me up special things to eat and say silly things to make me smile like, "I don't want to hear one word out of you young lady!" At least I can smile, b/c I can't laugh or cry either! Which is hard b/c at times I get emotional about all this, but I have to remind myself that it's gonna be worth it and I don't what to do anything to mess up the surgery.

I think the worst part is having this sinus infection during all this. I got a sinus infection on Thurs. before the surgery on Monday and I've had lots of mucus building up in my throat and chest which makes it hard to breathe b/c I can't cough it out. So, the netti pot helps along with the meds, but I haven't been able to sleep through the night yet since so that's frustrating. Last night I thought I might choke on my mucus! Sounds terrible I know!

I went to youth group last night with my dry erase board and that was interesting. The youth had fun with it - I got some laughs and poked fun at, but it was all entertaining I'm sure! I'm just trying to keep my spirits up through all this and look for the humor and good out of it all. I hate not talking and it makes me feel handicapped in a way, but I'm looking forward to a better and stronger voice after all this is over!!!!

1 comments:

Tatum & Jose said...

Hi Angel, I just read about your surgery. Hang in there and I hope you heal quickly, I will be thinking about you. Miss you!